Wednesday 20 January 2010

Smith "gobsmacked" by 'Blonde' reviews

Sheridan Smith has admitted that she is "gobsmacked" by the positive reviews she has received for her stage performance in Legally Blonde.

The Two Pints Of Lager and a Packet of Crisps star plays Elle Woods in the musical adaptation of the 2001 film starring Reese Witherspoon.

Smith said: "I'd set myself up that [the critics] might hate it, think it's all a bit of fluff... It would be like, 'Oh that girl off Two Pints is trying to do singing and dancing'.

"And I thought to myself, 'Well, all I can do is my best'. The audience are loving it. I'm loving it. So the fact that the critics then enjoyed it, it’s just the icing on the cake really."

She added of the play: "People can get really deep and think about it too much but to be honest it's two and a half hours away from the freezing cold. It's the credit crunch. It’s the show people need. It's not Chekhov; it's not hard.

"It's got a sweet message about not judging people too much and being true to yourself. That may not be life changing message but people are going away happy and that's enough."

While the show was in preview, Smith expressed fears that she might be out of her depth in the role.

No comments:

Post a Comment