Saturday 3 April 2010

Radio Times (3-9 April 2010)

Jonathan Creek's sidekick is baffled by magic and scared of Crimewatch

Which TV series would you take to a desert island?
Band of Brothers. My fella [actor Ross McCall] is in it, so it would be a way for me to see him. I could sit and stroke the screen.

Would you like to confess your guilty TV pleasure?
Where do I start? Deal or No Deal, Airline, A Place in the Sun... I'm in Legally Blonde: the Musical in London's West End, so I've got most of my days free at the moment - and I love daytime telly.

Who was your first TV crush?
The Bros twins, Matt and Luke. I even named two goldfish after them. And Pat Sharp from Fun House - though I'm not so proud of that.

What programme did you last change channels to avoid?
Crimewatch. They say, "Don't have nightmares", but I do! The music alone scares me. I can watch it with other people, but not on my own. Any little noise and I think someone's breaking in, or it's a ghost.

Your character Joey Ross in Jonathan Creek is a sceptic. Do you believe in magic?
I shared a flat with a magician - my friend Neil - for six years and I watched him do close-up magic. But I never wanted to know how it was done. I loved just being baffled. He would do a trick in which you'd sign a playing card and it would end up stuck to the ceiling. When we moved out, the ceiling was covered in cards. The landlord was furious.

You've played Ralf Little's girlfriend in both The Royle Family and Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps. Were you gutted when he traded you in for Miranda Raison in Married Single Other?
But I've traded him in for Duncan James in Legally Blonde, and he's a great kisser. When we finished filming Two Pints, Ralf and I worried we'd never be cast as girlfriend and boyfriend again. It feels a bit as if I'm cheating on him, but I think we've both done very well.

As the owner of three dogs you are, by any measure, a dog person. Are dog people better than cat people?
My dogs - Barry Manilow, Enid and Trish - are lovely, and dogs are so much more pleased to see you than cats ever are, but above all, I'm an animal lover. I don't trust people who don't like animals. That said, I do get funny looks sometimes shouting my dogs' names in the park.

Would you go on a celebrity reality show?
I can't swim, I'm afraid of heights and I couldn't do the bug stuff, so I'd be useless in the jungle. Duncan did Dancing on Ice in 2007, but I would hurt myself. I prefer to watch from the safety of my own home.

What's your favourite radio station?
We like Heart in our house: the dogs love it and I'm a sucker for a ballad. I have karaoke nights at my flat and you have to come dressed up, Stars in Their Eyes - style, as your chosen singer. I do Dolly Parton, with big fake boobs and everything, and sing 9 to 5.

How are you with technology?
I recently bought a laptop because Ross lives in LA and we Skype - I'm just getting the hang of it.

What was the last thing you listened to on your iPod?
I live in a garden flat, rent my flat upstairs to three friends and borrow their music. It ranges from I am What I Am to Wham! I'm a gay man in a woman's body - and I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment